13+ Sample purchase order format in Excel, PDF and Doc: A Purchase order or PO is a Business document (Not legal) sent by the buyer with the intent of letting the seller know about the procurement of goods and services they want to receive. This form of the document is only for the communication and ‘forwarding instruction’ purpose and could not be treated as a legal contract. By generating a purchase, the order buyer conveys his specific demands of the product/service, and by accepting that PO seller agrees to process that particular goods/service with the specified criteria and price. Once the product is delivered to the Buyer, he can cross-check the product with the specification which has been mentioned in the purchase order.
All the purchase order formats available could be customized according to the situation and needs of the ordered party, i.e., the Buyer. The user can easily edit the Purchase order format and customized font, figures, colors, and headings and can also add extra fields and columns when needed. After the modification of these purchase order formats, the user can save these at their local drive for further use. The user can also print out the Purchase order copy for reference purposes and can also cross verify with the invoice sent by the seller with the product delivery.
So, if you have not harnessed this amazing business tool yet, then we strongly suggest you give it a try and witness the difference. We are quite certain that in no time, you will adapt these templates and can utilize them fully.
Simple Purchase Order Format in Excel
Here is a sample Purchase order format template you can consult to create your own PO.
Purchase Order Format For Free Download (Word)
Purchase Order Format For Free Customization (Word)
Sample Purchase Order Templates
Important elements of a standard purchase order format:
Though a purchase order is not a legal contract between seller and Buyer it still has some important elements in it which roughly serves the purpose of a transactional agreement. A standard purchase order format should have the following fields/elements in it:
- Name and logo of Issuing Business/Entity: Every purchase order should have a clear mention of the Business name and logo of the issuing party i.e., buyer. It could be placed on the top left or right corner of the document for early and proper visualization.
- Date of the issue: As the purchase order carries the specific instruction of the product description price and expected date of delivery so it should have a clear mention of the date of the Purchase order issue.
- Address of Buyer: Another important element of a standard purchase order is that it should clearly mention the address of the purchase order issuer, preferably right below the business name.
- Name of the seller/Provider: This is another important field should be mentioned clearly in the standard purchase order format. Seller name and address must be clearly indicated for the seller to accept the Purchase Order.
- Item Specification and description: This is one of the crucial fields of any standard purchase order. The Buyer should clearly mention the exact specification of the goods or service he intends to receive. Clear instruction should be given for different products that should easily be distinguished and easily followed by the receiving party. A brief Product description is expected to be included in it as well.
- Item quantity: The Quantity of each specified goods/service should be clearly mentioned in this field.
- Rate (Item per Unit): This is a standard mentioned of the unit rate of the order goods which buyer intends to receive. The actual selling price could be decided later by the discussion between both parties.
- Total Amount: The Estimated rate of the total ordered goods/service should be mentioned here.
- Delivery location: This field contains the address of the place where the buyer wants to take the physical delivery of the ordered product. Not necessarily, it has to be the registered address of the buyer and that is why it should be clearly included in the Purchase Order format.
- Purchase Order Number: If a buyer is issuing a series of a Purchase orders to a specific provider (Could be different sellers as well) then he may include a Purchase Order Number to keep track of the goods or services ordered.
- Other details: This field could be customized and included according to the needs of the buyer.
- Delivery terms: The Buyer can include particular delivery terms he wants to imply in this field.
- Signature of Issuing designated authority: In this field, a signature of the issuing designated authority(normally the purchase manager or the Owner himself) should be there.
- PO Validity Period – Buyer can include this filed in the Purchase order if he wants to put any delivery time condition of the order.
- Tax Details: Any tax authorized number could be included here.
- Additional note: In this field buyer can leave any additional note as a reference for the seller.
Sample Purchase Order Format Form (Word)
Sample Purchase Order Format Template (Excel)
Purchase Order Request Letter Format (PDF Free Download)
What is e-PO & Why Businesses Should Adopt Electronic Purchase Orders?
Many organizations have migrated to the use of electronic purchase order systems. This system governs the procurement processes and is essential for accounts payable and receiving departments. To minimize the risk of duplicate orders, the receiving department checks the PO against invoices and goods received notes.
Its automated software also makes it easy to share documents and reproduce orders. With electronic purchase order forms, you can easily send and receive your order and keep your records for auditing purposes.
There are many benefits of using electronic purchase orders, including improved accuracy and reduced processing time. The time it takes to manually track purchase orders can be taken away from more important tasks, such as patient care.
With an electronic purchase order system, this process is fully automated, putting the patient’s needs at the center of the process. Moreover, an electronic system improves the tracking of purchase orders and the approval cycle time.
Using an electronic purchase order system is important because it allows companies to set up permissions that govern who can approve purchase orders and up to what amount. The upper management, for instance, may want to review every purchase, while the mid-management layer may have more control over purchasing decisions.
By creating permission levels, employees are better able to monitor and control expenditure. It is also possible to assign specific tasks to different departments, such as purchasing managers, to control the amount of money spent on each one.
While traditional paper purchase orders are still a major source of paper waste, electronic versions are easier to track and maintain. They also have fewer mistakes than paper versions. Furthermore, electronic purchase orders can help businesses meet regulations and business requirements.
Moreover, they can be easily accessed from anywhere, making them convenient for employees and management alike.
When choosing an electronic vendor, make sure that your vendor accepts it as a legitimate document. If you don’t, it’s best to choose an online vendor that offers electronic purchase orders. You can also get your suppliers to accept electronic purchase orders.
Purchase Order Format in Excel
Local Purchase Order Format in Microsoft Word
Benefits of Electronic Purchase Orders
Using an electronic purchase order system has many benefits for a business. Managing purchase orders electronically eliminates errors and streamlines the operational workflow. Suppliers can use an online portal to monitor order status, ask for further clarification when needed, acknowledge the order when they have the full order details, and convert POs into invoices whenever they need them to.
The electronic purchase order system reduces stress and strain on the supply chain. In addition to reducing errors, it is a great instrument to reduce costs and help build a pollution-free environment.
Purchasing software allows for the electronic creation and tracking of purchase orders. These systems make it easier to monitor company spending and stay within budget. The benefits of electronic purchase orders are numerous and slowly, you will find how impactful they are in your business operation automation. Furthermore, purchase order software increases productivity.
It also ensures complete transparency of orders and improves internal approval processes. Apart from that, electronic purchase orders are more secure. Electronic purchase orders are a great solution for businesses that do not want to rely on paper purchase orders.
In addition to that, you’ll save money and time by avoiding paper purchase orders and ensuring that your business is in a paperless environment.
Standard PO Order Format
DRAFT Purchase Order Form Format ( PDF)
P.O. Terms & Conditions That You Should Know & Understand
If you’re about to place an order online or offline, you should review and understand P.O. Terms & Conditions. These documents have the authority to form a contract between your company and the vendor/supplier/buyer. If you don’t understand them, they could jeopardize the sale and could cost you your business.
Here are a couple of the most important terms one should at least have some knowledge of. In general, these terms will apply to any Online purchase you make.
You should keep in mind that Purchase Order does not create a partnership between the Buyer and seller and it’s just a document that denotes a party is willing to buy something from the provider with specific details.
Neither party can waive any of its rights unless it’s in writing and signed by an authorized representative of the other party. In addition, failure to exercise a right does not constitute a waiver. Further, a single or partial exercise of one right does not negate the other party’s rights.
Before sending a purchase order, it is extremely critical that you have a fair understanding of the terms and conditions. Purchasing a product or service is a legal commitment, and your supplier must accept it in some way. The buyer should ask a lawyer about this agreement if it is unsure. You can also seek legal advice if needed.
Standard Service Purchase Order Format (PDF)
Blank Purchase Order format with instruction (PDF)
Machine Purchase Order Format Template (PDF)
Non Profit Business Purchase Order Format
Key Difference between Purchase Order form and Order Form Template?
There is a basic fundamental difference between Purchase Order Form and Order Form. The Buyer who issues the purchase order has the complete liberty to propose the Special Pricing for the product he’s going to offer, along with the exact quantity and other specific information. On the other hand, after getting the order from a business, it has to procure the order according to the needs and instructions of the vendor, and the receiver has almost little to no authority.
So it is always a prudent act to opt for a purchase order template and ask the suppliers if they are comfortable with the purchase order form. If yes, then you can use any standard purchase order form which serves your business needs and have all the important ingredients we have mentioned above and harness the real utility of the Purchase order form.
Simple purchase order template
Sample of purchase order
Sample Purchase order form